Ultimate Tips To Help You Learn English Vocabulary
In order to be able to communicate comfortably in English, ultimate tips to help you learn english vocabulary you need to build a rich English vocabulary. But learning English vocabulary has never been easy. You should learn vocabulary from the first lessons and learn whatever new words you meet because the first words are very basic words to learn the next lesson.
When you quit or hesitate to learn vocabulary, the next lessons will be difficult to understand and depressed. When you are no longer passionate, learning English is also very boring.
Vocabulary is always a decisive factor in the ability of each person to use English. The more words you know, the better your ability to listen, speak, read, and write. However, there is a problem that many people encounter when learning vocabulary that is forgotten after learning. So how can we learn many words in a fast and easy time to remember? In this article, we will give you 6 tips to help you remember vocabulary effectively.\
How Important Is English Vocabulary?
The most concise way about the role of vocabulary is that if you don’t have your vocabulary, you definitely can’t speak English. In other words, your English level will be at zero. If you want to learn more details, you can refer to the analysis below.
Vocabulary is the backbone of English communication
Vocabulary is like the raw material to create our English communication. And only when you have a rich vocabulary you can deeply understand the words that you can fluently speak in your spoken language.
With speaking and writing skills, listeners, as well as readers, ultimate tips to help you learn english vocabulary will pay attention to the content you want to convey instead of the grammar. Although you have a very good grasp of grammar, but you do not have a lot of vocabulary, you will not be able to write down what you want to say correctly. On the contrary, if you read or listen, you will understand the meaning that the speaker or writer wants to convey due to word limitations.
Without grammar, very little information is communicated. Without the vocabulary, you won’t be able to convey any of the information. That is considered as the truth and also the most accurate conclusion about the importance of vocabulary.
A rich vocabulary will help you develop your other skills
It is no exaggeration to say that communication is a factor that affects and also adversely affects all of our daily activities. And of course, English communication too. If you acquire a rich vocabulary, it will assist you in developing and perfecting other skills more effectively.
When you have a lot of vocabulary, you can understand the conveyed content more easily, even if your grammar is not too strong. And when understood correctly, quickly understood, ultimate tips to help you learn english vocabulary you can respond reflexively. The process of listening, understanding, and speaking will help you become more and more fluent.
Proficient literacy will help improve reading comprehension skills. Especially when you no longer have to wonder if you are spelling correctly, or using words with context, etc. Gradually, thanks to that, you will become a more natural reflex.
With this information, we must know why not be subjective when trying to learn English vocabulary effectively, right? Very simple because learning not only helps you to communicate well but also all other English skills will also be improved a lot.
Things To Remember To Learn English Vocabulary Effectively
The potential of the brain is limitless. According to Gizmodo, the average brain capacity is equivalent to 100,000 Gigabytes, which is more than 1 million iPhone Xs. Why is something so large that it floats the list of words with only 10 words? Because that odd vocabulary list is not the raw material for your brain to remember. To be able to learn English sesame words effectively, please keep in mind the following experiences!
1. Study at the right level
If any new word you come across is listed on the list of words to learn, you will definitely not remember because all of the words are not encountered often. When you are just starting out, you should learn the words in group A1-A2 to get the best feeling about the words to learn, one of the main ways to learn English easily.
Don’t force yourself to memorize the word, but make it familiar and obvious, seeing it every day without even trying. You can collect vocabulary according to topics you like, ultimate tips to help you learn english vocabulary such as movies, music, books, newspapers, or collect vocabulary from the signals in life and daily needs.
2. Set goals when studying
Just because you don’t force yourself to learn words doesn’t mean you don’t set goals for them. Your learning goals must be big enough and inspiring enough to stimulate you to learn.
If you learn 5 words a day, after a month, you have 150 words. But if you aim to be 30 words, then after a month, the number is 900 words. At first, you can set a goal for the number of words to learn small. If you are familiar with the memorization methods, you can definitely increase the number. We’ve seen a lot of you set a goal of learning 50 words a day, and after a month, you will absolutely have 1500 words. If you want to achieve that fast English learning, it is necessary to have a specific route and method.
3. Integrating sounds and images when learning English vocabulary
Sounds or images will work on the mind faster than text. That is why when you look at images, it takes longer to remember than reading a paragraph. So why not transform vocabulary learning by learning through pictures and sounds. It is also the secret to learning long-lasting English vocabulary that many people have successfully applied.
You can create your own flashcards with pictures and new word notes. On the one hand, write words. On the other hand, write the reading and meanings and related phrases. When looking at an image, try to remember its English meaning.
You can also convert into audio, video to watch pictures, and listen to the pronunciation of new words. If you invest more, you can get a foreign friend to learn English conversation online with them, thereby increasing your vocabulary significantly. This is also the secret to learning English vocabulary to help you remember and practice pronunciation very well.
4. Use words immediately
There is no need to use any super skills. This is a completely basic, easy-to-use, and effective way to learn English vocabulary for people. For any new vocabulary, use listening, speaking, and writing right away. You can use it for posting on Facebook, texting bears, etc. You will find the surprise that mastering those words is very easy.
5. Repeat the word many times
Repetition will help you memorize a word quickly and help you remember it longer. With one word you encounter that word about 10-20 times to remember the word permanently. The fact that you do not remember words is because you have not studied enough and met words enough times.
6. Read and write as much English as possible
The theory is only in theory if you do not know how to apply and practice. How much English vocabulary you learn, how long it takes if not applied, you will not remember for long.
So the secret to learning English vocabulary is not far away is to read and write English as much as possible. You can find materials related to your major, your favorite topics to read more knowledge and supplement vocabulary. Reading a lot makes it easier to memorize words in context.
Writing English is also a way to review learned knowledge, including vocabulary. You can write a journal in English, write basic English essays on your favorite topics, or write letters to English friends. ultimate tips to help you learn english vocabulary This is also the secret to learning English vocabulary from those sharing English super proficient people.
7. Don’t learn stereotyped English vocabulary
Each person has a different method of learning English vocabulary. Maybe for you, the visual learning method is available, but I don’t like it. I want to be more creative by drawing those pictures myself. ultimate tips to help you learn english vocabulary Just have a passion for drawing, and integrate the secret to learning long-lasting English words for yourself.
So, young people do not tie yourself to a certain framework. Finding yourself and being creative will help you find life a lot more enjoyable when looking through the English language lens.
Specific Methods To Help You Learn English Vocabulary Effectively
Here are some of the adequate vocabulary learning methods. You can consult and choose for yourself the appropriate learning method!
1. Learn vocabulary effectively with flashcard
One of the most common (and arguably the best) ways to learn English vocabulary is by using flashcards. Each flashcard will have an English word written on the front and a translation or word definition on the back. You can also add the pronunciation of the word or example sentence.
Flashcards help you to memorize vocabulary both quickly and effectively. They can also be customized and reused. Both the paper card and the digital card are available, and you can create your own. You can also purchase pre-made card sets or download them online.
- This effective way of learning vocabulary is easy to follow. If you choose to make paper cards, you need to prepare flashcards (or small pieces of paper). For digital cards, you need a computer and some software or a website to create them.
- They are highly interactive. Especially when you make them yourself. With paper flashcards, you write down all the words you want to learn and their meanings on the cards. It helps you focus on the meaning of each word.
- The flashcard set is easy to expand if you have a new vocabulary you want to learn. Just create a new flashcard and then add it to the card set.
- They are easy to mix and choose at random. Mixing order is essential to ensure that you fully understand the meaning of the words you are learning.
- Although not difficult to do, making flashcards can take a long time regardless of whether you are making a paper card or a digital card.
- Bulky paper flashcards are quite inconvenient to carry on the go. If you intend to use flashcards to study while out of the house, you should only consider taking some cards.
2. Learn vocabulary effectively with vocabulary list
A traditional vocabulary learning method is to make a list of all the English words you want to learn. Other than flashcards, the words you want to learn will be in the same place. If you have trouble using flashcards, a vocabulary list is a good alternative.
To learn with this method, write your English word on the left side of a piece of paper in order from top to bottom. Words can be numbered, and their pronunciation can be added. Then, on the right side of the paper, write the meaning of each word in your native language.
When you are ready to start learning, grab a separate sheet of paper to hide the native language words to the right. Then determine what each English word means. Once you have identified a word, move your paper down to check if you translated it correctly.
When you have finished the list, highlight words that you do not remember or find it difficult to remember. Here’s how you can identify words that take your time to memorize and pay attention.
- The biggest benefit is that the list is easy to expand when you want to add new vocabulary. You just need to pull out the list and write more words at the end.
- You can use your list as the basis for other memorization methods. The word then identifies specific words to put on flashcards or used in vocabulary quizzes.
- Less bulky lists than flashcards. With just one sheet of paper, you can write down dozens of words.
- Make this adequate vocabulary learning simple. All you need to do is write down each word in English, then write the Vietnamese meaning next to it.
- Although many people use this approach, it is quite tedious and boring. No high interaction.
- Difficult to shuffle or choose random words. You will learn English words faster by randomly shuffling the order in which you learn them. But that is quite difficult to do with the fixed list of words.
3. Write words repeatedly
If you want to practice spelling English words, try writing them down. With this method, you will write down each English word as many times as you speak aloud. Although this is not a very exciting way to learn. But it is still an effective way to learn vocabulary.
The best way to write down words is to set a certain number of times you will write them down. Usually, 10 to 20 times is enough. But be sure to focus on each word as you write it down. Pay close attention to the letters and how they are arranged, pronounced, and then identified. You should also note the meaning of each word in the repetitions so as not to forget the meaning of any word.
You can combine this effective vocabulary learning with either of the above methods (flashcards or vocabulary list) so as not to get bored with learning.
- Interoperability. Unlike flashcards and vocabulary lists, which only look and remember, you always do something when writing down words with this method. If you are an anxiety-prone type and enjoy doing something with your hands while you study. Then this is a worthwhile method to try.
- It helps you remember the spelling of words. Flashcards and lists mainly teach you the meaning of a word. But writing down a word (instead of just looking at it) makes it easier to remember how it is spelled.
- Writing down many times can make you feel bored. Despite being an effective method, it’s not a particularly fun way to learn a language. And it can get depressed quickly.
- Lethargy when writing many times. To really take advantage of this approach, you need to focus on each word’s meaning and writing. However, the repetitive movements make it easy to fall unconscious and inattentive.
4. Do vocabulary quiz
If you get bored with flashcards and lists, vocabulary quizzes are a great way to test what you’ve learned. And make sure you really understand the meaning of the English words.
Many English word quizzes are available for free on the Internet. At the same time, some are traditional multiple-choice quizzes. ultimate tips to help you learn english vocabulary Others are built like games. For example, you might find a game in which you have to match English words with their English meanings.
You can also make your own vocabulary quizzes using flashcards or lists.
- This effective vocabulary learning way to keep track of your progress by checking what you’ve learned. The quiz tells you if you really remember the English words you’ve learned and can use them fluently. If you fail to do a quiz, you will know exactly which words to take note of and learn again.
- Most of the vocabulary quizzes on the Internet are free. You can find a wealth of high-quality English quizzes and games on websites for students, English learners, and language learners in general.
You can hardly learn vocabulary entirely using quiz quizzes. In other words, you need to combine quizzes with one or more of the above methods so that you can learn English vocabulary before testing what you know.
5. Use vocabulary in conversation and writing
While the above methods are beneficial for memorizing English words, you won’t be able to remember the words you’ve learned for long. Unless you really use them in conversations and writing. In short, you need to put them in context.
Suppose you want to use new English words in the conversation. First, you need to find a native English speaker. Or other English learners for speaking practice. If you don’t live in an English-speaking country, try searching for English groups or clubs that you can join in your area. Or you can also chat with English speaking tourists.
Another option for English speaking practice is premium video chat language lessons. Fees vary depending on the service you use and how long you want to practice. Some good sites to try out are Live Lingua, Verbalplanet, and Italki.
- You will learn more quickly how to use and say words you have learned. Though you should always say words out loud when you first learn them. But using them in conversation (especially with native English speakers) is the best way to make sure you pronounce and use them correctly.
- You will remember words better by using them in sentences. So always look for opportunities to use the words you learn in both conversation and writing.
- You can get feedback while chatting or writing letters to native English speakers. If you are not sure if you are using an exact word or not. You can ask others to comment on you or explain how they use specific words in English.
- It is not always easy to find native English speakers. In this case, ultimate tips to help you learn english vocabulary you can replace it with someone with a high level of English that is worth trusting.
- You need someone to check if you are using the correct word. However, this is not always convenient.
- You may hesitate to use new words with others. When we speak another language, we tend to rely solely on using words we know well to avoid making mistakes. This hesitation can hinder your ability to learn new words and use them confidently.
6. Learn vocabulary effectively with mind map
Mind Maps give us a much more practical approach to handling large vocabulary volumes. Because you can easily create themed collections and add new words wherever it suits you. They are structurally similar to the connections that form in our brains to connect individual ideas to each other.
Prepare a list of words on the same topic in advance. Then place the topic name in the center of the paper frame. Start breaking into small branches of related topics with the vocabulary in each sub-branch. This way helps you to systemize vocabulary. Make connections between words to learn faster. If you use digital mind maps, you can add illustrations or colors to remember them better.
- Colors and images are used in mind maps that make our brain easier to remember than plain text.
- Effective vocabulary learning helps focus on key concepts.
- Provide space for both width and depth, including the big picture and its details.
- It allows you to break down information into sections and combine them into a new whole.
- Digital mind maps let you freely navigate and rearrange information.
- The hand-drawn mind map is boring and monotonous. There is no color to emphasize, and no symbols or images to help our brain remember.
The above article has mentioned quite in detail and entirely about the best ways to learn English vocabulary effectively to help memorize the best, which is appreciated today. We hope you can rely on that to improve your vocabulary and communicate more confidently and fluently quickly. I hope these English vocabulary learning tips also partly help you on the way to conquer foreign languages!
Thanks for reading our article!